Going Global: Expanding Your Modelling Career into International Markets
No Comments • Uncategorized • By Melissa
The world of fashion and modelling has evolved significantly in recent years. No longer confined to the traditional fashion capitals of New York, Paris, London, and Milan, the modelling industry has truly gone global due to several significant factors that have reshaped the global fashion landscape. New, emerging fashion markets, digital transformation, diversity & inclusivity, fashion tourism, and further fashion weeks in locations including Moscow, Berlin, and São Paulo, have all contributed to the decentralisation of the fashion industry.
This has opened doors for models who may not otherwise have been noticed. Gone are the days when top models were predominantly from a select few countries; now, diversity and uniqueness are celebrated. This shift in the industry’s mindset has paved the way for models from various backgrounds and cultures to step into the limelight.
Let’s take a look at the world of international modelling and the incredible opportunities available.
International Modelling: Why Go Global?
- Diverse Market Exposure: Expanding your modelling career beyond your home country exposes you to a diverse range of markets, styles, and clientele. Different countries have their unique fashion scenes, and by going global, you can diversify your portfolio and adapt to various aesthetics.
- Networking: Building an international modelling career offers the chance to network with industry professionals worldwide. Establishing connections in different fashion hubs can lead to exciting opportunities and collaborations that might not be available if you remain in a single market.
- Enhanced Portfolio: Working in various markets provides the chance to build a diverse and impressive portfolio. These international experiences can help you stand out from the competition and appeal to a broader range of clients.
- Increased Earning Potential: Different markets offer different pay scales, and by exploring international opportunities, you can potentially earn more for your work. In some countries, the demand for international models may be higher, leading to better compensation.
- Personal Growth: International modelling is not just about your career; it’s also about personal growth. Immersing yourself in different cultures, languages, and lifestyles can be a transformative experience that shapes you as a person.
The United Kingdom: A Global Modelling Hotspot
The United Kingdom has been a sought-after destination for models looking to expand their horizons for many years. With its world-renowned fashion cities like London, Manchester, and Leeds, the UK offers a dynamic and diverse modelling scene.
London: A Fashion Powerhouse
London stands out as a global fashion capital, attracting models and designers from around the world. The city is known for its avant-garde fashion, eclectic street style, and a vibrant modelling industry.
Agencies in London
Several top modelling agencies in London have made their mark globally, representing an impressive roster of international models. Agencies such as Storm Management, Elite Model Management, and Next Model Management have played a significant role in promoting international talents.
London Fashion Week is one of the most prestigious events in the global fashion calendar, drawing designers, models, and fashion enthusiasts from all corners of the globe. Participating in London Fashion Week can be a significant milestone for models aspiring to go international.
Steps to Take Your Modelling Career Global
- Build a Strong Portfolio: To stand out in the international modelling scene, invest in building a diverse and compelling portfolio. Showcase your versatility by working with different photographers, stylists, and makeup artists.
- Professional Representation: Aligning yourself with a reputable modelling agency is crucial for international success. A good agency can help you secure international contracts, guide your career, and connect you with valuable industry contacts.
- Cultural Sensitivity: As you venture into international markets, be sensitive to local cultures, customs, and traditions. Understanding and respecting cultural nuances can help you navigate different markets effectively.
- Visa and Work Permits: Depending on your nationality and the country you plan to work in, you may need a work visa or permit. Ensure that you have the necessary documentation to work legally in your chosen international market.
- Networking: Attend fashion events, workshops, and industry parties to connect with industry professionals. Networking can open doors to exciting international opportunities.
- Stay Updated: Keep abreast of international fashion trends and the latest developments in the industry. Staying informed will help you adapt to the specific requirements of different markets.
Top International Modelling Destinations
- New York, USA: New York City remains a global modelling capital, offering numerous opportunities for aspiring models. The city is known for its diverse fashion scene, including high-end runway shows, commercial work, and editorial campaigns.
- Paris, France: Paris is synonymous with high fashion and is the birthplace of many iconic models. The city’s prestigious couture houses and fashion weeks provide a platform for models to work with renowned designers and photographers.
- Milan, Italy: Milan is a hub for luxury fashion and is particularly known for its men’s fashion. Models can find opportunities to walk the runways for top designers and work with luxury brands.
- Tokyo, Japan: Tokyo offers a unique and avant-garde fashion scene. Models who appreciate Japanese street style and subcultures will find exciting opportunities in Tokyo.
- Sydney, Australia: The Australian fashion scene is gaining recognition, with opportunities to work in both the local and international markets. Australia’s proximity to Asia also opens doors to modelling in Asian countries.
Challenges of an International Modelling Career
While the prospect of an international modelling career is alluring, it comes with its own set of challenges:
- Competition: The global modelling industry is highly competitive. To succeed, you need to consistently prove your worth and stand out from the crowd.
- Cultural Adaptation: Adapting to different cultures and expectations can be challenging. Models may need to adjust their style and approach to cater to the tastes of the local market.
- Homesickness: Being away from home for extended periods can be emotionally challenging. It’s important to have a strong support system and coping mechanisms.
- Contractual Obligations: International modelling contracts may come with stringent terms and conditions. Models should carefully review and understand their contracts to avoid any disputes.
- Legal Considerations: Understanding immigration and work permit laws in different countries is vital. Navigating the legal aspects of international work can be complex.
- Health and Wellbeing: The fashion industry has been scrutinized for promoting unhealthy body standards. Models should prioritize their health and well-being, and agencies should support and promote these values.
Navigating Brexit: Implications for International Models
Brexit, the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the European Union, brought about changes in immigration and work regulations that may affect international models. If you’re from outside the UK and you intend to work here, it’s essential to stay updated on the latest visa and work permit requirements.
Post-Brexit Work Visas
The UK introduced a points-based immigration system after Brexit, which includes a new Skilled Worker visa category. This visa is designed for foreign workers with a job offer from a UK employer, and it applies to various professions, including modelling. To secure a Skilled Worker visa, you need to meet specific eligibility criteria, such as having a job offer, sufficient English language skills, and meeting the required points threshold.
Consult with a Legal Expert
Navigating the intricacies of post-Brexit work visas can be challenging. It’s advisable to consult with a legal expert or immigration consultant who specialises in the fashion industry to ensure you have the correct visa and work permit to pursue your international modelling career in the UK.
Seize the Global Modelling Stage
The international modelling scene is brimming with opportunities for models willing to take the leap. With the United Kingdom serving as a thriving hub for the global fashion industry, aspiring models can find a multitude of prospects within its borders. However, there are many benefits to working abroad – yet it’s crucial to be aware of the challenges and requirements that come with an international modelling career.
By building a strong portfolio, securing professional representation, and staying informed about the latest trends, you can embark on a successful international modelling journey. As you venture into international markets, remember that it’s not just about your career; it’s an incredible opportunity for personal growth and cultural enrichment. Embrace the diverse world of modelling, adapt, and shine on the global stage – your journey begins today.